On the one hand, I’m on holiday. On the other hand, as I said, that often involves fiddling with computers, which I enjoy. So, I decided to set up a server.
Using my parent’s WLAN as a testing ground, I yesterday installed a Mac mini server running Snow Leopard Server until I had the webserver running in the evening. But still, the main part of the day was spent doing a guided city tour in Lübeck:
Anyway, the decision for a Mac mini server was from the day before yesterday, and Amazon was really fast in delivery (and a bit cheaper than the online Apple Store, sorry Steve). At 9:00 in the morning I had the Mac mini on my desk.
At noon, I had local services running. That could have gone faster if I hadn’t tried to do the initial setup remotely over the WLAN. That doesn’t work too well if IPs are doled out with DHCP. Patch cable. keyboard, mouse and monitor to the rescue, static IPs set, and the fabulous Serverassistant program could prove itself useful.
DynDNS I had set up in the morning, and when we came back from Lübeck in the evening, I entered the settings in my parent’s DSL router config menu and set up port forwarding. Very satisfied to see an outside representation of the server as in the lead picture!
Now for setting up some users.